The Green Drink
A strategy I have been using with myself as well as some of my Coaching Clients lately is the early morning Green Drink. The goal is to create a drink that will not only provide you with the necessary nutrients for proper neurotransmitter and metabolic function, but also, quite simply deliver more vegetables to the body in the early hours. As we know, properly balanced meals contain a source of protein, fat, vegetable and fibre.
It is rare to hear of someone routinely eating fresh vegetables during their morning meal, and if they do, it is usually in the absence of high quality protein and fat. As was the case when “juicing” came into vogue in the late ‘80s and ‘90s. With the morning Green Drink, any vegetables you add will still have their fibre content contained within the drink because it is simply being blended and not completely extracted. This is an excellent way to fulfil all requirements of a properly structured meal. And believe me, for those of you concerned about how this will taste, it’s a non-issue… you will definitely not notice the added vegetables, but you will certainly feel the difference!
The Green Drink
Prep time: 2 minutes
- 1/2 cup of spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup of kale (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup organic berries (blueberries are best, however please experiment with other berries)
- 1-2 Tbsp organic coconut oil - for medium-chain triglycerides
- 1-2 scoops of high quality Whey or Vegetarian protein source
- a small handful of cashews, walnuts, almonds, or any other RAW nut
- freshly ground cinnamon to taste
- adjust the consistency with filtered water
The idea is to keep the fruit to a minimum or at very least add an equal amount of vegetables as you do fruit. This will go a long way in reducing fructose intake and stabilizing insulin and blood sugar response.